19-21 September 2018
North-South Interchanges: Collaborations, Tensions, Hybridizations
UNESP (State University of São Paulo) – Instituto de Artes, São Paulo (Brazil)
Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini, Lucca (Italy)
Universidad de la República, Montevideo/Salto (Uruguay)
Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo (UFES) – Centro de Artes, Vitória (Brazil)
UNESP, Instituto de Artes, São Paulo – Brazil
19-21 September 2018
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini of Lucca, the UNESP (State University of São Paulo), the Universidad de la República, Montevideo/Salto (Uruguay) and the Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo (UFES) are pleased to invite submissions from scholars of proposals for the symposium on «North-South Interchanges: Collaborations, Tensions, Hybridizations» to be held in São Paulo, UNESP, Instituto de Arte, from Wednesday 19 until Friday 21 September 2018.
The relations between the music made in South America, and that made in Europe, and in North America has been characterized at times by efforts to approach, some others times by rejection, many times resulting in peculiar hybrids. These same relations reflect in music criticism and in aesthetics, sometimes reinforcing the similarities, sometimes invoking the differences, or even having to deal with musical phenomena for which no specific vocabulary has been invented yet. We part from the argument proposed by Joseph Kerman, «repertories are determined by performers, and canons by critics» (‘A Few Canonic Variations’, in: Critical Inquiry, x/1, Canons [Sep. 1983], pp. 107-125), evoking the strength of the discursive network that develops around musical creation, performance, and its aesthetics. This conference intends to explore the rich and multifarious relations between music-making — understood in a very broad sense — and music criticism and aesthetics that, in some way, deal with or reflect the North-South relations.
The programme committee encourages submissions within the following areas, although other topics are also welcome:
• The reception of European and North-American music in South America;
• The reception of South-American music in Europe and in North America;
• Nationalisms and the adaptation / rejection of foreign models in Music Criticism;
• The North-South relations in Popular Music Criticism;
• The North-South relations in Art Music Criticism;
• Aesthetics, Philosophy of Music and Music Criticism;
• Nationalisms and aesthetics: discourse between borders;
• Aesthetics and Philosophy of Music in South America;
• History of Music Criticism.
• Marita Fornaro Bordolli (Universidad de la República, Uruguay)
• Roberto Illiano (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini, Italy)
• Fulvia Morabito (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini, Italy)
• Massimiliano Sala (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini, Italy)
• Lia Tomás (UNESP – Instituto de Artes, Brazil)
• Mónica Vermes (Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo – Centro de Artes, Brazil)
The official languages of the conference are English, Spanish and Portuguese. Papers selected at the conference will be published in a miscellaneous volume.
Papers are limited to twenty minutes in length, allowing time for questions and discussion. Please submit an abstract of no more than 500 words and no more than 200 words of biography.
All proposals should be submitted by email no later than ***Sunday 10 June 2018*** to <email@example.com>. With your proposal, please include your name, contact details (postal address, e-mail, and telephone number) and (if applicable) your affiliation. The committee will make its final decision on the abstracts by the end of May 2018, and contributors will be informed immediately thereafter. Further information about the programme, registration, travel, and accommodation will be announced after that date.
For any additional information, please contact: